CoQ10 is a natural vitamin-like substance that is found in the mitochondria, or “power plant”, of every cell in the body. Its primary function is facilitating the production of energy at the cellular level, but it plays many other roles as well.
The coenzyme is essential to everyone for good health at all ages, but there are many ways in which it’s particularly beneficial for women. And because the body’s production of the coenzyme generally peaks during the twenties and drops off sharply as we age, supplementation is something that older women should consider. Here are several good reasons why.
1. It can help you stay healthier longer. CoQ10 is a powerful antioxidant capable of preventing and even repairing the damage caused by free radicals, chemically imbalanced molecules that are created as a byproduct of cellular oxidation. Because free radical damage is strongly associated with virtually all age-related diseases and conditions, antioxidants are often described as anti aging supplements.
2. It can keep your skin looking and feeling younger. As our bodies produce less of the coenzyme, production of important skin molecules like collagen and elastin are also diminished, leaving the skin more vulnerable to wrinkles and age spots.
3. It can contribute to healthier pregnancies. Pregnant women with low levels of CoQ10 are at greater risk of serious complications, including life-threatening conditions such as pre-eclampsia and high blood pressure.
4. It can make menopause easier and more comfortable. Studies of meopausal women indicate that supplemental CoQ10 helped alleviate many of the most uncomfortable physical aspects of menopause, including headaches, low energy, hot flashes, and night sweats.
5. It can help you lose weight. CoQ10 improves the efficiency of all body systems, including the metabolism, and studies show that people with high levels of the coenzyme lost weight faster and easier than those who were deficient in CoQ10.
6. It can help keep gums healthy. Low levels of CoQ10 are strongly associated with periodontal or gum disease, which is not only the leading cause of adult tooth loss, but is also implicated in other conditions including cardiovascular disease.
7. It may help protect against breast cancer. Numerous studies and clinical trials show that keeping blood levels of the coenzyme high can be of significant benefit to cancer patients and could possibly play a role in reducing the risk of beast, colon, kidney, and other types of cancer.
8. It helps keep hearts strong and provides protection against heart disease, which is the leading cause of death in women. Clinical studies have proved that keeping high levels of CoQ10 improves cardiac function and reduces the risk of heart disease. It can also shorten the recovery time for heart surgery patients.